View Single Post
Old 04-28-2002, 12:02 AM   #12
kaylus1

Even though you say you didn't really attack the military, I saw several parts where you questioned the policies of the military, and also went so far as to say some veterans are uninformed. To me that sounds like an attack.

That behind, you can question how the military operates until you are blue in the face, but arguing something of which you haven't had personal life experience doesn't work. About the recruitment process, yes it seems strange, but we have alot of people who aren't supra-intelligent who run to us on their own. They are a mixture, some higher scoring some lower. The same goes with recruitment not all that are recruited or sought out are super intelligent. In fact you are seeing only what goes on when they come to a place where there is a collective body of students. Go visit the recruitment office and go out with one of them, alot of them walk the mall or stores and talk to people. Get numbers and call, without regards to 4.0 gpa. I know, I DID it.

I'd like to say though that about 80% are ones who score between 80 and 110 on their asvab tests. Probably 60% of those are under 100. Now we have so many people to fill the lower level jobs, but less to fill the higher technical jobs.

The army is here to serve a purpose. That of defending the country. That does not just apply to those on the front lines, as you depict and seem to think happens to all soldiers. That applies as well to those that set up communications sattellites, do network engineering (myself), take care of soldier's pay, maintain computers, etc.. All are an integral part of a whole army, yet single entities. Each person is an integral part of the whole army, yet a single entity. Do we want someone who scored about 70 engineering a communications or computer network that helps us fight the enemy? How would that benefit the army?

Now your army of one belief. I understand that, I am in the military and it confused me too. But you are looking at it the wrong way. Not talking about YOU as an army by YOURSELF, it's there to recognize you as an individual as a link in the ONE chain. We are one army, one mission, one set of values.. an army of ONE.. united.

Here is the public relations site for the army of one campaign.

It explains what they mean, hope that helps. Realize this though, the army is also looking for people who show potential and dedication, why train someone for a high-tech skill that is going to leave in a few years anyway. Retention is a high priority as well as job skill.

Kaylus@Solice

= 74B - Information Systems Operator/Analyst =
= Joined for the sign on bonus and money for family =
= Stayed because of stability of Job =