View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Power Gamers

I'm not sure that most people define power gamers as cheaters. Power gamers often operate well within the realms of a game's rules, design, and "intent". They just dominate the gameplay in a way that most game designers never imagined. This can have a negative result on the rest of the player base, and oftentimes, that is what causes admins/devs to react negatively to power gamers.

Power gamers also aren't necessarily a negative or a problem player. They're often extremely supportive to the games they play since they love playing it so much they completely min/max every option they have on it. Oftentimes, power gamers know how to use the abilities on a specific game better than the coders know how to use it. It's simply because they optimize it during gameplay, which can often be very different than how a coder/developer imagined the power being used.

Botting usually involves a computer playing a character with the person far away from the screen. I'm not sure that I would lump the two in the same category. Your definition here assumes that the power gamer is a negative force in a game (along with whatever else the admin has decided is negative, of course). I'm not sure they are.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote