View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #24
Starling

Starling is on a distinguished road
I have played on a mud where if an item was too high-level for you, you were simply not able to touch it. The point of allowing low-level characters to use whatever they pick up or find or are given, so far as I can tell (and I'm just a player, not an IMM) is that the character can enjoy items they find or are given, while still making sure that that same character (who could be a true newbie to the mud) isn't targeted for killing because of their elite equipment.

Now, if I bury my equipment and walk away, and attack a character I am pretty sure will kill me, then come back later to collect my equipment... no code is particularly involved in that. There is no code I am deliberately avoiding in order to keep my equipment. It is essentially the same as giving it to a friend, though likely less safe, so long as I stay logged in.

But if I bury equipment in order to be able to AVOID the code that is intended to return that equipment into the general population, then I am abusing code, because I'm exploiting a known loophole in it. It's not possible, or at least practical, to code a mud to prevent every abuse. That's why rules exist.

I am also by my actions creating a situation where new characters will be killed for their equipment, because the amount of any type of equipment is limited. If the behavior described were practiced by all, then the entire protection the "thieves" ironically provided to newbies would be lost.

And if it should not be practiced by all, then those who practice it are gaining an unearned advantage, simply because of their knowledge of this loophole in code.
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote