View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Suggestions

I guess I would agree with those who have questioned the need for another MUD. In addition to what others have said, even if your intention is to get a hang of coding stuff, this can be done while contributing to an existing project instead of your work going into the virtual valhalla of dead MUD projects. If you are actually trying to make a game, you wont get a game based on coding alone anyway, so you need to create a team at some point anyway- so why not to start with. I am sure there are scores of games that can do with a coder- even one that is not very brilliant- including starting MUDs of all stripes and MUDS in the under 15 players online category with an existing playerbase that is not going anywhere but needing massive improvement. New games that open to the public but go nowhere are in the end hurting the MUDing community making people lose faith in the genre. I am sure in the 1000 odd games out there, there is bound to be atleast one that is close to what you want to create.

Of course, that would entail you finding that elusive game and testing it to see if you can fit there. After that, figuring a way to get hired. A suggestion is to actually play the game for a while to see if you can stand the people there. I found that I cant work on a MUD which I cant play.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote