View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Suggestions

Your game did get reviewed and got pushed out of the "MUD swamp". A lot of MUDs don't get much attention and are difficult to find for players. All reviews are somewhat biased. Just look at game magazines.

What category of staff member do you believe is toughest to find?

I have played on games that started with 60-80 players, and ended in 4-5 players. The real question is perhaps if you should aim for a lot of players, or aim to have fun writing the game. If players actually join then that is hopefully a bonus.

Even a large MUD with a large team could be closed down in a few seconds. If the original owner gets tired of the game he/she could close it. There is unfortunately no guarantee someone else get permission to continue run the MUD. While not a MUD you can look at MudMagic/MudRage as an example. That website was closed all of a sudden. Of course the more developers on a game, the more politics you get.

I agree that this is very annoying.

The problem is there is no guarantees even if you have a large team, as I mention above. It just takes a few people to ruin the fun for everyone else.

I think you point out important issues. Personally I find what makes MUDs fun is to develop them. To me that is more fun than actually playing them . Perhaps singleplayer-able MUDs should be aimed for that are able to scale when more players join.

While there are a lot of small MUDs out there they do .
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote