View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #99
Richter

Name: Marc
Home MUD: Lusternia
Richter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Richter
While I understand that is it not generally considered a good idea to post without reading the entire topic, I grow tired of wading through semantics and mudslinging (pun intended), and thus have only read about half of the ten pages here.

That said, I do believe it would be wonderful for a deeper classification system to be created for the MUDs listed on TMS. However, if that is going to happen, it should at least be accurate. My experience with MUDs have largely been with IRE games, and they are indeed free to play. Some characters in Aetolia that I've had, have never once purchased credits, and one or both have gotten to be publically known during their day and age. I was a decent fighter (in comparison to people with as much MUDding experience as I, I didn't expect to be a top ten fighter when I started MUDding), I was well known in the circles I ran in, and most of all I enjoyed playing for free.

Now, in Lusternia, I'm regarding as someone with extraordinary wealth, primarily due to the fact that I finally have a decent job. But could those things that I've purchased be gained without credits? Indeed they could! In fact, as I've stated in the past here and elsewhere, there's a fantastic example of a player that rose to lv100, had many sets of skills fully learned, and the only time she got credits from outside the game, was when someone purchased a small amount on her, to make sure that if she ever went inactive, she wouldn't eventually be wiped.

I've seen an heard about other MUDs that advertise free to play, but are not. These are the ones that require you to pay a fee up front, and then the rest of your gaming experience is "free". Now, is making you pay to play free? Er, no. Is IRE falsely advertising because it says it is free to play. No! Just because you can accelerate your character's growth with the possibility to purchase credits does not mean that the game is not free, because I know there are hundreds of Lusternians that have never purchased credits.

So, in summary, there's no reason why we could not have a more in-depth system, but it should accurately reflect what the game really is.
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote