Thread: Sickness
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Sickness

Agreed. If I'm an "Elf," that should dramaticly change everything versus being a "Human." +1 intelligence, +1 dexterity, and -1 constitution is not a dramatic change. Receiving a bonus to stealth in the wilderness, using bows, and magic spells is not a dramatic change. My gameplay is exactly the same, except my mages have a little more magical umph and a little less hit points. And not even enough magical umph to really matter. A +1 bonus to maging and a -1 penalty to olympic style wrestling really isn't going to make me alter my gameplay to take advantage of my strengths or compensate for my weaknesses.

But along that same line of thinking, if I'm a "Mage," and you're a "Warrior," that should also change everything. Our gameplay should be different. Not just a little different, but night and day different. If we're both standing in front of mobs typing commands over and over to do damage as efficiently as possible, we're practically the same character class. You type kick and I type cast magic missile, but they do pretty much the same thing.

Moreover, if I'm a "Mage" and I have six spells that do the same thing, that ticks me off. I'd rather have one magical blasting spell that improves as my character does (and maybe even the ability to restring my spell message or modify the spell in various ways) than six progresively "stronger" versions of the same thing. I'd rather have only 10 powers per character class, but every one of them unique from all other classes and extremely useful, than 50 powers, all of which are restrung versions of things other classes get and things I got a few levels ago. Nobody cares if they just got hit with an "acid blast" or a "fireball." They just see how much damage they took and react accordingly.

But back on topic, nobody's going to care if they catch the flu and get a -1 penalty to their strength and randomly are forced to emote a cough. The very first time that's coded, people will roleplay around with it, act sick, run from sick people because they're contagious, etc., but within a week, people will just be ignoring the sickness messages and playing the real game. If sickness were coded to be debilitating enough to really interfere with gameplay, it wouldn't be cooler, it would be less cool. Nobody wants a coded system that prevents them from playing the game they are making time to play.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote