Thread: Hive AI
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 08:11 PM   #6
Fayd

Fayd is on a distinguished road
Hey ho. I haven't posted here before, but I've been lurking for quite some time and I'm really interested in this idea. My two and a half cents:

A settlement just founded.
Instead of having a settlement just appear out of thin air, you could have a super-rare "settler" mob spawn randomly after a game reset if the game determines that there aren't enough settlements currently active. He would roam around the game world for a little bit, find a place where players haven't been for awhile, and create a town- spawning a couple of mobs, a few basic buildings, and some inital resources. The wander time would give players a chance to kill the mob before it gets things going, making settlements a little more rare.

A settlement growing to be self sufficient.
Settlements would be able to get certian resources based on the room types in which it covers as well as the surrounding terrain. For instance, a mountain settlement would have an easy time getting metals and perhaps lumber, but they would have a tough time getting enough food to feed themselves. The settlements can then send out trading mobs to buy and sell goods with other settlements and perhaps the main towns and cities of the game.

A settlement under attack by Players (farming, et all)
Settlements under attack might be able to send out a signal for help- perhaps a smoke signal or a magic spell or something of that nature. There would be a slim chance that passing mobs of the same or sympathetic race to the inhabitants of the settlement would come to their aid. Imagine trying to farm a relatively weak town only to see a band of powerful orcish raiders jump out of the woods behind you!

Also, settlements may be able to ally with other settlements. They could agree to share raiding parties or something of that sort through specialized "diplomat" mobiles.

A settlement under attack by other NPC/Mobiles
Pretty much the same thing as above, though I don't imagine much could come from it.

A settlement growing beyond a settlement.
This might be based on certian RP developments in the game and have to be set by immortals, or perhaps a settlement could attain "city" or "kingdom" status when it reaches a certian size.

After getting to be a certain size, the settlement will be able to spawn "settler" mobs of its own after resets (again, rare), which will set off a short distance from the town and begin a small settlement, smaller than the main town was when it first started. This town would be automatically allied with the first, and so on. Eventually, mob-run kingdoms could spring up. This would have to be severely limited, though, to prevent a huge number of mob towns from springing up everywhere.

Really, this would be best in a game that uses ASCII mapping or hexes, to prevent areas with a lot of effort put into them from being stamped over by stock rooms descs. It would also add a real sense of scale to the settlements- little blobs of text growing to huge blobs over time!
Fayd is offline   Reply With Quote