View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #43
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Player-added content doesn't necessarily mean freeform writing.  Implement the appropriate rules for managing the content, then you can work on something else while the players use your tools to expand the game.

As an example: I allow players to set their own descriptions, but they may only do so through configurable options, not by writing their descriptions manually.  This ensures that they cannot write what I would personally consider to be a 'bad' description (i.e., descriptions don't have spelling mistakes, bad grammar or incorrect information).

Admittedly the above example doesn't actually help expand the game, but it does save me the effort of verifying people's descriptions for quality and consistency.  The only other two alternatives I can think of would be to (1) spend administrative time and effort verifying/validating player descriptions, or (2) allow players to write what I consider 'bad' descriptions. My approach sacrifices flexibility, but it's a price I'm more willing to pay than the alternatives.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote