View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Suicide Boy

Suicide Boy is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a friendly, active, RP-oriented game

Well, for starters, this is the first time I've heard that New Worlds' pay-for-perks system is only just now being implemented. If you read the thread above our two posts, nowhere is it mentioned that the pay-for-perks system is new. I assumed (wrongly, but not foolishly, I think; it was a natural assumption) that the system had been in place for some time, and that I was just now hearing about it.

In light of that heretofore unmentioned curve ball, sure, I'm inclined to cut New Worlds some slack.

But I stand by what I said in that it applies generally to the marketing strategy of any MUD, even if we disregard New Worlds. There are some MUDs that have been around for ages that are pay-for-perks, but you wouldn't know it to read their website or from the information available to new players at the beginning of the game. I don't mind pay-for-perks at all (and I'm at a point in my life where I can afford a fair number of perks), as long as they're up-front about it.

I will say that I dislike pay-to-win MUDs, but some people seem to enjoy them. I'm not taking any of it truly personally, however, though I do resent it when I feel that someone's marketing strategy insults my intelligence as a potential customer. I know my posts read as being rather passionate, but it's not like I'm hopping up and down in front of my computer with steam coming from my ears.
Suicide Boy is offline   Reply With Quote