Thread: Why roleplay?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 11:49 PM   #7
aeslyn

aeslyn is on a distinguished road
For me...being a girl who got into fantasy/scifi when I was 12 (thanks to a wonderful teacher who started me on the Pern series, the only books I'd read since C.S. Lewis' Narnian Chronicles that truly interested me) I'd say it's been a long and hard journey.

My latest ex once told me that I led a double life. None of my group of friends had any idea the type of books I read, or that I spent a bit of time in Muds. I even hid it pretty well from my roommates...calling them chat rooms. He wasn't one to talk though since he did almost the same thing, instead by having two groups of friends. Anyway for me, I never grew up with someone who could do a pen and paper RPG. I so wanted to but was never able. Happily I threw myself into chat RP when I finally got a computer. Happily I went when I found DGate in 1995. And since then I've RP'd many muds.

All my RPing experiences have been done online. I just recently sat in on a few AD&D and whatever the other name of the game was and I felt almost at a loss. I felt out of place and silly. The reason? I'm used to expressing myself in type better than in person. I love the RP atmosphere of a text game. You can ignore this or that person and you can have a huge room of people instead of about eight.

I RP because I write, but seem to have a bit of a writers block. I love the input of others and I love interracting with something that is unknown. My character may have known yours for six years, but you can still do something suprising.

Ah well enough of my babbling.

Eliot

Edited to add: Colin, I didn't find those series until I was a junior in high school. I swear I read through the entire shelves of the local Waldenbooks and then I found dragonlance....which I stopped reading a few books in for some reason.
aeslyn is offline   Reply With Quote