Thread: Idle exp
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
Re: Idle exp

Having played New Worlds recently (gave up for just this reason in March of this year), I can say that it is *extremely* frustrating to be on a so-called 'RP-enforced' game that actively endorses players idling. Apparently, it's considered 'roleplaying' if you leave your character in a Guild or Church location with the roompose of 'is resting here' whilst you, the player, goes off for many hours and isn't attentive to your character at all. Whilst you as a player are off doing what-ever else, your character is accruing bonuses for being online, and receives in-game rewards of both money and experience whilst you, the player, are at work or school or lounging in your back yard. This creates a 'who list' of a lot of characters , but it's an illusion. Trying to communicate In Character with any of these characters most often results in a 'They are AFK' response. Given that this game relies on merchant characters to forge and fix weapons, armour and create all the food in the game, this is a big deal.

Also, there are certain characters that you can start up in the 'South' (meant to be a more challenging starting point for a character), and to advance out of slavery or military service, you must have a certain number of hours logged. Most players just idle until their 'time is done' with these characters, then they apply for freedom so that they can then move on to join a guild in the game. This leaves players who actually want to RP, and be aware for their character's progress, disadvantaged as they have little chance of 'catching up' with those who chose to idle.

I thought this was hugely unfair and brought it up on more than one occasion. I was told, by a staff member of New Worlds, that I should idle and 'say it was like sleeping' for my character. Basically, I thought this was rubbish for a so-called 'Roleplaying Game', so I left and have not returned.

If this seems like a rant against New Worlds, I suppose it is. I don't know of another RP-enforced game that has such a strange take on Roleplaying. How or why should an idle player be rewarded in this way?
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote