View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
Genesis

Genesis is on a distinguished road
Re: Community survey: What do MUD players want?

A couple thoughts on this before bed.

I strongly agree with this, even coming personally from the aforementioned "hardcore RP arena" category. If given the choice of two identical MUDs where the only difference is one has multiple races where the other does not, I will usually favour the option with multiple races.

That said, quality of races should be considered over quantity. One of the biggest turn offs for a MUD or any roleplaying game with multiple races is the fact that you will always get players who are, essentially, kids (or childish adults >_>). It pains me every time I see some newb roll a "pretty" race like an elf essentially only because they want to be Legolas, and then play the character totally in contrast to the fundamental lore and culture of the race they selected.

I've seen MUDs in the past where one only had a generic race they could choose to play for their first character, and then after so many weeks/months of playing, and after the character had become familiar with the game's lore, the option to roll additional races would present itself. My experience however stems mostly from highly RP intensive MUDs where race is choosen based on the personality and story you want for the character, not for inherent "starting stats" or "class options" or the like.

Which brings me to my next point.

Game background and story. Reading over the OP this is clearly a more achievement based MUD than an RP intensive one, and so this probably isn't so relevant but there it is nonetheless.

Good luck with your game, wherever it takes you.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote