View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 AM   #2
Yev

First of all, I'll say when I play a character I don't aim for complete IC/OOC separation, mostly since I think it is impossible, that and I tend to be an empath with my characters: When I log them in, I put on their mask, and yes, to some degree I take on their troubles and worries and their hopes and dreams and all that overly dramatic jazz. I'm of the opinion that those who do aim for 100% IC/OOC separation can only progress to a certain point in their RP ability, since they don't have that internal understanding of the characters they play.

That being said, when I am done playing a character for the time being (or just not RPing with them) I can focus more objectively on the situations the characters faced. This way, rather than being driven by the emotion of the character whenever they come up, I can snap out of the role easily enough that I can deal with it. In other words: When I'm playing, I'm immersed, when I'm not playing, I'm separate.

As for attachment? As with the playing I find some attachment is a good thing. If I care as much about a character as I do my avatar in Diablo or some other CRPG, then what's the point? Oh, gee, he's dead, time to make another character. - How I learned to deal with character death? Mostly I dealt with it by it happening to my characters. Would it suck if a character of mine I cared about died tomarrow? Yeah, but give me a couple days, I'll be back with 2 more quality characters to 'replace' the one lost. :>

From a more objective standpoint, I think death is easier to get over in an RP environment where life is ICly and OOCly cheap. As in: You can die easy, one misplaced move with your shield and you're done for type thing. Also I think losing a 'big' character is in a way a test of one's RP ability to broaden horizons and all that.