View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Looking For a complex Mud

I'm curious about the addition of the last criteria to your list. It seems to conflict with your other requirement of a complex, effective, player-run economy.

To have an economy, you have to have a constant, closed system. Death of an economic owner or participant is ok, because it just returns the items to the economy, removes a consumer as well as a producer (which over many deaths will tend to average out).

But the idea of "winning" would, in my mind, mean the removal of the person "winning" without them giving up anything. So you still remove a producer and a consumer, but all that they have gained during that time (which conceivably would be quite a bit in order to "win"), would suddenly be removed from the system. So every person that wins wreaks the system further.

After writing it, it doesn't sound as economically deadly as I first imagined but.. still holds true in my mind. Take for example a major player in OPEC. If the company, all of it's employees, all of it's materials and capital both liquid and non-liquid, as well as all of it's stakes in resources (meaning the resources as well since... if they "won" why do they have to return everything to the "pool"?) suddenly pulled out, imagine what that would do to our economic situation.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote