View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #248
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

Woah there. Humiliating myself? Lets not get carried away.

Threshold has NEVER hidden its payment systems or plans. You cannot even finish character creation without being FORCED to read a detailed helpfile that lists EVERY possible perk you can pay for.

But I don't want to be forced into describing my mud in a way that is inaccurate, just so some other guy can lie about the fact that they sell merchandise, and that people who buy t-shirts get bonus xp every other Thursday, and somehow that is not considered "pay for perks" in his eyes.

It isn't tangential at all. If the goal is giving players valuable information, then lets improve the whole system at once. Lets not just add one small thing to benefit the whims of a very small, very vocal handful of people.

The Professional vs. Hobbyist option idea has been around as long as the multiple payment plan options. So if the goal is giving players valuable information, lets do it right. And most importantly, lets do it by creating options based on fact, not vague opinion and interpretation.

These options are factual:

[ ] Money accepted in some form (payment, donations, sale of merchandise).
[ ] No money accepted in any form.

The other countless versions of options that include things like rewards, what kind of rewards, how expensive the rewards, whether the rewards can be obtained in game as well, etc. are incredibly vague and prone to abuse and dishonesty.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote