View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Muds only appeal to certain types of people.

This is a very good thread. I believe that most MUDers are very imaginative people. It taks great imagination to delve into a MUD textual world. If any of you remember the great games of yesteryear that were forerunners to the multiplaying online games of today, you will probably remember the need for good imagination in these games like Ultima I, Wizardry, Wasteland, and Star Command.

Star Command is a great example as it was a virtual world in space created out of mostly text and ascii and had great story lines. It was basically a SUD as was Wasteland.

Wasteland was an indepth story driven post apocolyptic hugely difficult game that required alot of imagination as the graphics were very limited. But again, one of the most fun games I've ever played. Far and beyond such one dimensional shooters like Halo and the like.

Very simple games like Wizardry and Ultima I were low level graphic games that relied on story and imagination, yet I found them far better than the massively graphical oriented Ultima Online and WoW.

Perhaps it is just me, but these games forced you to be creative in your own mind rather than mind dumb with animation overload.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote