View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: RPEI, The New RP Standard

Here's the difference. A mini-van dealer can define exactly what a mini-van is in non-vague terms that is not subject to interpretation or opinion.

A mini-van has more than 4 seats.
A mini-van has removable seats.
A mini-van runs on 4 wheels.
A mini-van has a standard car engine.

Of course a mini-van dealer would be offended if someone claimed a motorcycle was a mini-van.

However, say like I create a van that's smaller than standard vans but bigger and longer than mini-vans. It also has 4 wheels, it also has removable seats, and it also has a standard car engine. It also has a cup-holder for every seat. It has a built in TV, and it has Bose surround sound stereo systems. They've however, removed the sliding doors and the regular doors and replaced them with cool Lamborghini-like doors, because that would be totally cool mini-vaness. Then I chose to call my van a Mini-Van Elite, aka as the MVE. Then, I go ape-bonkers if ANYONE tried to categorize my MVE as a mini-van, or anyone tries to categorize their mini-vans as an MVE. Then, Mercedes makes a mini-van that has everything my mini-van has but they make it with the cool Mercedes logo and a few extra gee-gaws. Well, I'll allow them to call their van an MVE. Wait a minute. Ford has a mini-van with at least 75% of my features, but I don't like the people who drive Ford cars. I'm SURE Ford's vans simply just can't be as good as mine. They CANNOT use the MVE term. Ford asks me what they have to do in order to use the MVE stamp on their mini-vans. I reply with vague instructions such as "Make a van with more luxury features." Ford asks, "What luxury features?" I reply, "Maybe some more cupholders." Ford says, "Our drivers don't like more cupholders." I reply with, "I guess your drivers shouldn't drive an MVE." Ford tries again by trying to find the industry standard for an MVE. Ford can't find one. I still insist that it is an exclusive standard for luxury mini-vans, but I never produce a list of what an MVE is. MVE drivers just know what an MVE is and find it incredibly frustrating that others do not.

Now, I could resolve this simply by issuing a precise guide to what an MVE is, but instead of doing that, I write up something like:

MVE
You must be a mini-van.
You must have lots of luxury upgrades. All features must be designed towards luxury.

Then some MVE owners go around telling the world that MVE are the best cars. Everything else is a normal car.

Can you see how frustrating that might be for the people who make mini-vans, and people who drive mini-vans? Can you start to see how this might seem like a "club" and not a standard?

Seriously, I have no vested interested in what anyone does with the term RPI, especially not the administrators of those muds. I think I wouldn't be involved at all if I didn't find it quite ludicrous that a player thinks he wants an RPI but gets ridiculed for thinking he wants one because of his preferences. The person didn't seem to take offense, though, so no harm, no foul!

Don't take me too seriously, though, Prof. I admire that you are at least TRYING to create a specific standard that is so much less vague that what others have posted. RPI Muds could benefit a lot from sitting down and figuring out what they are in a way that can be communicated to the rest of the mudding world.

Until then, RPI is just going to seem like a confusing list of personal preferences rather than an industry standard to me. I'm totally down with that, too!
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote