View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Not that this has much of anything to do with the original poster's intent, but just thought I would chime in...

It is true that your best bet is usually to have a lawyer draw up the contract, mail it to the contributors, have them have it signed and notarized and then wait for the signed version to come back to you.

But...

A digital electronic signature, which can consist of something as simple as an "I agree to these terms" checkbox before an email can be sent from a website, can hold up in court as evidence to agreeing to a contract. Most states in the USA have some form of electronic signature laws (and most have had them since telegraph contracts were declared valid in the mid 19th century).

Heck, be generous and have in your contracts to "pay" your writers in check form as "independent contractors in a compilation" for their work. Work done "work for hire" is owned by the employer. Check with your locality on contracting rules, laws and requirements.

There is case law available to be googled on what has and what has not held up in court cases. Use it at your own risk.

Standard Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Seek appropriate legal council on all legal and contract matters.

Best of luck on your project.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote