View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
ck1

ck1 is on a distinguished road
Achieving a balance?

I played my first MUD in the mid-1990s, and after a year quit (for a few reasons) and didn't try again until late last year.

My first foray was into a couple of the IRE MUDs, eventually settling on Midkemia Online. I enjoyed it for a while, but left after a few weeks. I liked the concept behind the MUD, but there were a number of problems, the most significant being that it just failed to hold my interest -- there wasn't very much to do, other than grinding for levels in a tiny number of areas. I also find the "pay for credits" system extremely flawed, as it basically lets people buy their way to power in a very direct way. But I really liked the RP and the fact that the game seemed to make sense as a cohesive whole.

I then tried a number of other MUDs, and eventually settled on Aardwolf. I've been playing that for a couple of weeks and enjoy it as a "lighter" alternative. It's extremely well programmed and full-featured, clearly with a lot of effort put into it. The problem with this MUD, for me anyway, is the opposite of what I experienced on the IRE MUDs: there are tons of areas and there are plenty of things to do, but the game is "unserious" to the point of being silly. There's no rhyme or reason to the areas, I find myself fighting silly things like pieces of fruit. Also, while the game has a sophisticated and well-done system for leveling many times using multiple characters, but aside from leveling I am not sure what else there is -- there is no "in game story" to command one's attention.

What I'm really after is a MUD that strikes a balance between these extremes. I want there to be lots of things to do, and a combat system that is more than just grinding. But I also want the world I am in to make sense, with areas that are part of a consistent theme. I'd like to feel like I am part of a team or a side in a conflict, the way I did in Midkemia, that I am leveling for a reason.

I also want something that is reasonably easy to use and understand. I tried about 10 other MUDs after I left IRE but many of them I eventually ruled out because they didn't have any mapping features whatsoever. This is meant to be a leisure activity and I don't want to spend all of my time lost or trying to figure out where I am using offline maps.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear if there are any suggestions for a MUD with these basic characteristics:
- Large enough to hold my interest for more than a couple of weeks.
- Decent-sized player base (don't need hundreds but I don't want to be one of only 20 players either).
- Good combat system especially for PvM as I am not a big PvPer.
- Functional mapping system.
- Coherent, sensible world, preferably with RP but not to the point of people freaking out if you say something OOC.

Thanks!
ck1 is offline   Reply With Quote