View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Everyone is frightened? Speak for yourself. There are a lot of muds out there that are growing quite rapidly. There are companies who make muds who have no problem successfully making more.

As for zMUD's sales, as someone already mentioned, a lot of muds these days use custom clients. Custom clients are definitely the way of the future. This is slightly off topic, but I think a big reason so many muds are not supporting zMUD actively any more is because so many of zMUDs features can be used to cheat. Zuggsoft has never given mud administrators the ability to disable zMUD features on their own games.

Basically, Zuggsoft made a decision to only cater to the whims of players who often like cheating. That might work in the short run, but not the long run. In the long run, it is the game creators who control what client(s) can be used to connect to their game, so that is really the group of people a commercial client programmer should be most concerned about.

I am not bashing Zuggsoft in any way. zMUD has played a significant role in making MUDding more accessible to thousands of people. That has been a huge boon to the hobbby of MUDding. I am only pointing to an aspect of their business strategy that is resulting in less zMUD usage now despite the fact that the actual mudding population continues to grow.

Can you provide statistical evidence of this? All existing evidence seems to be to the contrary.

They must be visiting crappy muds then. The average MUD has tons more features than even the best, most feature packed MMO. If they are laughing about the "graphics", then why the heck did they login to a MUD in the first place?

Probably because they don't need saving.

The only types of MUDs that are suffering are the stock crap muds who have a much harder time getting suckers.... er I mean players now that there is enough competition to make better choices very evident.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote