Thread: Brewing
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
LordKiev

LordKiev is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LordKiev
The MUD I play at () is trying to go mostly RP, so it's no surprise that on the coding to-do list was a bunch of crafting skills. For my first project on that mud, I picked something that looked easy, alchemy (essentially brewing). To make a long story short, I've written a system like this, and here's how it works:

You need:
Flask (holds from 1-5 doses)
Mortar & Pestle (can make potions better/worse) {Only for solids}
Mixingbowl (Can make potions better/worse)
Components (Can be solid/liquid {maybe gas later})

You need 1 and only 1 liquid component in each potion, and it determines how the potion takes effect. 4 different methods: can be used on food, drink, on an edged weapon, or just contact with the skin. In addition, any potion can be drunk/quaffed.

Potions are evaluated:
Stickiness: Determines how easily they affect the person
Potency: Level the spells are cast at
3 spells: Which can be any that can be cast, atm

The commands:
alchemy <component>: Prepares a component in the mixingbowl
alchemy mix: Creates the potion
alchemy mix {again}: Puts the potion in the flask
alchemy check: Sees which components you have used
alchemy dump: Empties the mixingbowl (all components so far are wasted)
alchemy name <potion> <newname>: Adds 1 alias to the the potion's name. Multiple uses replace each other

The three spells are randomly determined by the spells on the different components. The potency is the average of the potency of the components, modified by the skill level. So I could mix a glass of treated water and two herbs (no method for in-game distribution so far) and get:

a green clear potion:
sleep
poison
weakness
potency: 400%
affect: drinking

(the player wouldn't know any of this. have to learn it by experimentation or from another player who knows)
Then with that potion you would have to A) Envenom a drink you're holding and give it to someone.... B) Drug a fountain in a room C) Drug a drink someone else is holding
Since you have to eat/drink.....

Oh, I forgot to mention: various things about the potion's description tip it off. The consistency and color signify different things.
LordKiev is offline   Reply With Quote