View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 05:54 AM   #24
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
As I said before, most people can sift through extremes quite quickly noting overly-positive or overly-negative reviews and make a decision for themselves. The more extreme the action (pro or con) a person takes, the more likely they are to be dismissed as a reliable source (ie, "it can't be that good/bad" line of thought). And if they have expectations of the MUD going in, most of the time it's due to the way in which the MUD advertises itself, not what some unknown player says about it.

For example, I've tried hundreds of MUDs, dozens of which made claims they could not live up to. That's pretty much the case with most things in life. I always try to maintain an optimistic yet cautious attitude when trying out a new MUD (or giving an old one another look) but I never go into it believing that the game's description of itself is entirely accurate. I can't say I've ever taken anything I've read in a review too seriously either.

As I said before, I agreed with you that many reviews are too positive or too negative, to an extreme, but those aren't the reviews that impress upon me. It's the reviews that balance themselves showing pro and con that make any impact.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote