View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 AM   #88
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Gee. Like to lie much?

It was restricted to successful mud staff, in an effort to cut down on noise. The criteria for being successful was a daily peak of 50 concurrent players.

Oh, lament the cry of the martyr.

There is such a prevailing animosity against commercial muds here which has caused the degradation of the community. Almost any time Matt posts he gets jumped on by the same people who have an opposing opinion, and who get particularly insulting and nasty about expressing it.

IMO, I think that Matt does have power on TMS because of the fact that he sends a significant portion of the traffic here every day, and that he is one of the higher spending advertisers. Some people seem to have an attitude that MUDs were born free, and are meant to be free, but they're not. The very first mud was a commercial entity, and they remained commercial for some time. To this day, the most popular muds are commercial, with Simutronics, IRE boasting massive playerbases across their games. Why? Because most people prefer to play in an environment with lots of content and quality, and its hard to compete with a full time commercial developer as a hobbyist.

I really don't think its Matt that brings these forums down. I think its the seething, mindless hostility that so many posters have for him. I've been here for a few years now(I lurked for a bit), and my honest view is that if you want the forums to start to improve.. improvement begins at home.

And thats the only contribution most of them make, these days.

One would think that a forum with an announcements & mud promotions forum would be more receptive to announcements and mud promotions.

I can certainly understand that. But ultimately, I don't think the blame for the cesspool lies entirely at Matt's feet.

-H
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote