View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #174
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
There is some, actually. There are games where you can buy game-mechanics-advantage things with RL cash that are non-transferrable. I've been told that Medievia, for example is this way -- you pay $X and get a medallion that you can't lose or transfer that gives you 1000 extra hit points or whatever. If you will not buy it with your RL cash, you will always be 1000 hit points (or whatever) behind the pack in PvP. It's like extra credit assignments in a class that's graded on a curve -- it becomes the standard and ceases to be optional for people who want to compete.

I don't think games where you can bypass a time investment by dropping a bunch of money should be categorized with the free games or the flat fee only play games, but neither do I think it's entirely fair to lump a game where you *could* theoretically get/see/do everything in the game by means other than personally paying money (even if it takes those people way ridiculously longer) in with a game where you absolutely must pay to be PvP competitive.

If you're extremely cash-poor and want to be a top PvPer on Achaea, as I understand it, you've got some options even if they're not great ones. On Medievia you don't have those options at all.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote