View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
I think it would be useful if the initial posters explained their niche. Given that there exists a Dark-Sun-themed RPI, it'd probably be useful for them to explain where their new creation is going, why it would be different, etc.

Also, and this is general to a lot of recruitment posts.... don't backhand your audience if you're asking them to work for you. Phrases like "You need to check your code and not slap stuff together." and "but I don't need ROM/ROT builders, extensive writing abilities are required" aren't good.

For the first one, any experienced coder is going to say "Well, duh." Conversely, any sloppy slap-together coder probably thinks they test "enough". It'd be far better to give an idea of how much experience you'd like to see in an applicant. And be realistic- anyone with 10 years of experience probably has a position with which they are happy.

For the second one, just because someone works on a ROM derivative and writes areas (like I do), doesn't mean they aren't up to your standards. For builders, you don't really care what codebase to which they are accustomed. You care that they can write within a specified theme, know the Dark Sun mythos at least casually, have played roleplaying-required games before so they know what the players want, etc. Put those kinds of requirements together, and you'll give your audience a much better idea of what you require.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote