View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #104
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: The "Health," of Muds

1506 "average", 3882 "max", if you want to be technical, not including servers that are "unregistered" or "private", and none of which indicate how long they have been around. This is, again, for a game that *still* is updating for the original Sony servers. And, that is one of the big differences. Most of the "original" muds that where out, well.. they don't exist either, anymore. And, not one of them managed 1.5 million players. Until the original servers shut down, until/unless the people from them decide to just move on to the next game, without looking to replay the content, you can't say dead. By that standard, muds died too, a long time ago, since they are keeping a tiny fraction of the possible players. Its the whole point of the thread.

Most of these servers have not been around for more than 4-5 years, a few maybe 10, and they seem to manage to have attracted, and keep on, 487 -> 982 players, just looking at the "original" server, only including the ones that are in *their* server list, and which are not running on people's own networks, or possibly using other means to direct players to them.

Its like a car. Yeah, one from 1960 is rare, but if all you want is a car from the company, you can still buy a 2010 model, it just won't be the 1960 one. It won't be custom modded, it won't have been owned by someone famous, etc. You are complaining that, "Well, people are not buying the new X brand as much, and the old one isn't sold any more, so, the entire line is dead." Show me a mud that, while the original was still running, had over 982 players, and for which there are **no** derivatives. Then you can tell me how EQ I qualifies as "dead".

Otherwise, its like whining that Diku is dead, based on the fact that there are more Diku muds run by some slub with 3 friends and a cat, who never **see** 150 players either, never mind nearly 1,000.

But, neither of us is going to know for sure, for years, possibly decades, and certainly not while who ever is *still* playing the original Sony servers are still playing on Sony accounts, using the original Sony version.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote