View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #22
Hadoryu

Hadoryu is on a distinguished road
I think you lost me this time. I'm talking about taking a fully manual combat system, one that does nothing without player input, then building a client script which processes data from the MUD via triggers and sends in input instead of the player. The combat system is incredibly complex, more than most people can possibly handle with just aliases and macros. That's why people end up making automated scripts to take some of the load off. The MUD's combat system is completely manual, it's the players who use automation by scripting their own actions. You can't simply take the automation from the client and put it into the MUD, because the scripting is done via an imperfect medium - the text the MUD sends isn't always clear about your status or about what's going on, it's up to you to think of a way to catch on to the real state of things. Also, the point at which a player loses is usually when their system fails - be it because a trigger doesn't fire, because their curing priorities aren't good or because they allowed themselves to be brought into a tactically disadvantaged position.

I don't think there are two scripts out there that are the same. It's a very big task to script everything and most people don't, most people just script enough to get them by. Putting a player-made system into the MUD itself wouldn't accomplish much, simply because no system is perfect and because the conversion would likely be too difficult.

I mean like a passive effect that you toggle and then it keeps going. For instance, you can order a loyal to attack your enemy, the loyal needs no further input from that point on, but you keep fighting manually yourself.
Hadoryu is offline   Reply With Quote