View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 11:31 AM   #9
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I guess that explains why we weren't called immortals. GMs (Game Masters) aren't necessarily immortal. They are, only if the admin creates them as such.

In addition, some games won't allow their staff to show up in the game -as- staff members. It ruins the continuity and the suspension of disbelief for GM-Joe to poof into a room and interact with the characters played by regular players.

In an RPI, the GM is part of the background, that invisible weave that makes the world work. Heck, even if I was testing a player to make sure they weren't abusing the "no afk-scripting" rule, I'd often change my name to "troll" and give myself a quicky 3 line description and remove my clothes just so the player, if they WERE there, would see that they're interacting with a troll, not a staff member.

Sometimes even this little detail during script-checking could result in a fun RP moment if the player was paying attention. One time I posed as a spirit haunting a mining cavern. The player was paying attention afterall, and after around a half hour of emotes and his interaction with this "spirit," a new plotline had formed for the game.

This could never happen if I had just shown up as GM-Whoever.

I don't believe staff members have any business showing up as their GM-selves in a roleplaying game. Not even a roleplaying encouraged one, because their presence DIScourages roleplay.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote