View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

>>Jazuela

:nod: The scripting policies seem to be very similar to DR. Very strictly enforced with constant supervision. I suppose people can always grief if they use an IP spoofer (similar to what it looks like folks have done in the past to cheat the voting here).

I don't believe the particular skill or experience system would change things much. Gemstone is more level based with lots of numbers and calculations visible. DR is more skill based with descriptions instead of numbers. However, they both take considerable of effort to police.

If 1 adventurer is powerful, 2 are more powerful. A large advantage is to be gained just from an item mule, a healing mule, a CC mule, etc.

>>licensing restrictions

Oh! I didn't realize that - it probably is one of many factors contributing to MUDs being free. The larger ones are forced to have some in-game RL money store to offset the cost of bandwidth, database licenses and so-on. I figured folks were just rolling their own engines to avoid such hangups and reduce the chance for hacking and exploits.

>>There's no desire or need to profit from it,

The contractor model employed is heavily volunteer based and so there is little desire to profit from the game. We do it because we love it. I always tell people - the best part of developing for a MUD is the instant gratification you get after rolling out a system for players to enjoy!

>>For those of us who never got used to paying, maybe MUDs could invent some new method with outside advertisements to obtain economical gains if they are successful?

That seems to be quite difficult (not just for MUDs, but games in general). Simutronics has been working to diversify their portfolio (the MMO engine, several popular iOS games), and if those successes continue it can only mean good things for DR and Gemstone.

>> permadeath

There has been discussion towards bringing back a form of permanent death in DR. It used to be you needed favor with your god or a cleric to resurrect you. Fail, and you Walk the Starry Road. The side effect of having permadeath is a large portion of the population didn't like it, and a portion used it to create drama... so it was changed to a penalty based system. Less risk, but more consumer friendly.
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote