View Single Post
Old 05-05-2002, 10:03 AM   #10
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
I'm not concerned about monetary returns. Nor am I really willing to initiate a lawsuit against the entity, although I would certainly sign on in the event of a class action brought against them for blatant misrepresentation.

And that is what the true point is: the company responsible for both Achaea and Aetolia is, in my opinion, misrepresenting itself in advertising by placing a claim (of any sort) and then a totally unrelated quote in line with it, which appears to substantiate or reinforce the claim:

Pontiac Firebird - voted the most well-built car on the planet.
"....Clearly the best car ever made!" --Robbert Smith

The first statement suggests that a particular poll was taken, and the object (in this case, Pontiac's Firebird) was the winner. The second, both in its wording and in its inclusion with the first, implies that it is a reinforcer. However, after inspection, we see that it is totally unrelated. It is a quote from a person who not only is not associated with whatever body performed the voting poll, but also has no credence for the given testimonial. Sure, it's a valid quote, but it clearly does not belong with the first. To the casual viewer, one thinks that "Robbert Smith" is a subject matter expert on Pontiacs, and is making the statement from a position of knowledge. That belief then lends credence to the first quote.

I've been told that it is humorous, or that the quote's in question are so blatantly outrageous that they will not be believed. I say bull-hockey. They are offensive to me, and (per my beliefs) ethically misleading. From what Dulan has said, they are also legally wrong.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote