View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #36
exohuman

exohuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's try this again...RP MUD

Yeah, I understand and see your point about the guild recruitment being onerous to filter out non-RP players. However, don't you see the irony in the comparison to a master piano player or NASCAR driver? Those are two people who will not be playing a mud that required them to write multiple essays on fiction, interview 7 people and write essays on that, and then go through another interview process just to get the class they want to play in a Mud. Good RP is fine! It's great! It's fun! It's entertaining but an online game should not be requiring the effort a cheap school course might. No offense to New Worlds (it's a great game) but the non-guilded option suffers from being a single class that may not fit the personality of the gamer.

I'm not disagreeing (I agree too that good RP requires a time commitment to the scene), but just pointing out the oddness of it all. I've RP'd for over 13 years now in various games (sometimes creating an RP community in games that had none) and many of them were not MUDs. I used to enjoy the improv-like atmosphere of table top games and even managed to have RP that was meaningful and fun in some of the big graphical mmos. Those were fun times.

However, I would like to kindly say that the requirements I stated in the first paragraph above are not only un-RP, But they lack fun too. Why not send the player on a coded quest that forces him to demonstrate the ideals of the guild to join? Why not have him join the other guild members on a romp through a dungeon specifically created for recruits to learn the ways of the guild? Or have an instance where recruits must learn the skills one by one and get quizzed on the ways of the guild? Initiation rites and rituals existed everywhere all over the world, why not dance around a fire and call the spirits of the ancestors and have those judge his spirit?

Again, people do what they find fun (or endure something less fun in hopes of future fun) but I would kindly like to suggest to any receptive mud implementor with a desire for RP gaming that FUN should be the focus and to keep in mind that other, more important things are going on in the players lives. The player that doesn't like your game will play another one, but seriously, do you want to turn away good players because you bored them or asked things of them that would get them laughed out of a family BBQ for doing without getting paid?
exohuman is offline   Reply With Quote