View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #10
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
I leave reviews on for several reasons. Yes, you have to glean out the "I was multiplaying and they caught me, so here's the multitude of reasons why they suck" review, but much in life comes with accompaying tribulation.

One: Sometimes they're fun to read.  We had one written as a Shakespearean soliloquy - others have been exercises in creativity that were a blast to read.  

Two: It's useful for me to see both what people love and what people hate.  People mention the facets of the game that they think are particularly wow-worthy, and I like to know what they are because I'd like to continue adding more.

Three: A lot of the times they provide great quotes that I can use in publicity.  Lines like "the China White of muds" or "My life revolves around this game in ways my therapist and I are only starting to understand." are better than anything I'd come up with.

Four: Any publicity is good publicity, and part of being a good MUD admin is (imo) finding ways to get buzz going about your mud.  I've shut up reviews on occasion when there's been problems with the same person posting the same review over and over, or using a review for us to tout their own mud, but for the most part, it stays on.

We do have an active and engaged player base and I apologize if that has added to the flame wars that do spring up on here.  Generally they're careful about identifying themselves as not affiliated with the staff, and personally I'd rather have an enthusiastic and sometimes overeager crowd than a bunch of jaded, hip, apathists.
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote