View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Enforced sexism?

That's an interesting point right there. If people really wanted to be logical, a mud where people hate Dwarves (for example) is stupid and poorly thought out. Dwarves are strong, hardy, hard-working, skilled, healthy, butt-kicking badasses. Everybody wants Dwarf-forged weaponry. A mud where people hate homosexuality IC is pretty darn logical and realistic by comparison. People who engage in sexual practices that don't lead to procreation, just physical gratification -- essentially a waste of time. That's an easy hate to justify in a harsh world where time and resources are limited, even without getting into religion, nature, people being uncomfortable, or whatever other real world factors influence real world bigots. Dwarves mine metal and make swords. Elves are magical geniuses. Even Hobbits bake a mean loaf of bread.

It would be really easy to justify a fantasy world where people don't like the clearly weaker gender, or don't like homosexuality, or don't like a race that's actually inferior and not good for anything. Not that anybody would actually want to play a mud like that. That would be an aggravating mud to play. But it's a hard sell to justify a fantasy world where race A doesn't like race B because the help documentation says so. "You're awesome at all the things I'm not and if we ever teamed up, we'd be the perfect complement for each other and the world would tremble beneath the might of our combined empires, but when I type help Elf, I'm told that I'm supposed to dislike your culture and try to kill you."
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote