View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #6
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
Judas PRIEST! And people wonder why HnS'ers consider the RPI crowd "elitist snobs."

*snorts*

Ok, although I *want* to flame the lot of you as hard as you so richly deserve...I'm going to leave it at that, and attempt to offer some concrete suggestions, instead.

1) RPE's could offer retro-coded additions to rooms. If there are things that would interest a certain class, say, scrolls on a desk that a mage might be interested in reading, code could be added to give xp to a mage who attempts to read them. Warriors who try to read them might find them written in a language they don't understand, whereas a mage might find a historical document or whatever.. something semi-useless in nature, but either way, xp would be awarded for doing something with an item. The warrior might get LESS xp for trying to read it, perhaps warriors could get more xp for lighting the whole desk on fire. Figure out what you *want* that class to do with things in a room, what they MIGHT try and do with them, and then, add a small xp thing if they happen to try that certain thing. Record syntaxes attempted in that room, and by whom, and build your retro-fit accordingly, with common syntax tries built in.

2) Add an exploration system. Make it fancy. Perhaps add a time element. Give xp to people who actually take time to read the game, and play it out, trying syntaxes.

3) Give non-combat related character rewards/autoloaders to people who make the effort to 'round out' their class, and who in the long run 'pick up' on the type of person they can be in their class. Warriors who excel at combat might get a battlescar of power. Thieves who consistently steal might get a black armband. Clerics who actually party and heal might get a glowing aura of goodness. None of these things is a 'perk' or affects fighting, but looks classy on the char.

4) Tell true RPI fanatics to stay the #### off your mud, and go where they aren't sneering down their noses at your regulars. Oh, wait... that was flame territory. I've run out of constructive ideas, so better quit while I'm behind. I'll slink back to my RPE Mud and kill some more stuff, while I play out my beautiful Priest, who's more a cleric than a lot of RPI'ers I've ever met. She can spell better, too.

With greatest bitterness,
EM
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote