View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #39
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

Another word of advice:

Many players look for the Free Mud, or Free this or that. I stated before that I respect both types of Muds: those that are Free and those that are Pay to play and everthing in between. Keep in mind the old proverb - You get what you pay for.

By this I mean that some feel that a free mud should and does offer all the guaranties, playability, fixes, and staff assistance that a pay mud offers. This is simply not the case in most circumstances. A mud that is bringing in donations or payments can offer more services and you can expect more services. Several of the top 20 muds on TMS are virtually free but also offer some form of payment either through donations or registrations or credits. These Muds can utilize resources to enhance playability.

Make no mistake, Muds cost time, money, and resources to operate. Having funding to keep them operating not only gives a player a sense of responsibility and ownership, it grants the mud operators the ability to use those resources for enhancements and administration.
Simply put, having funds greatly enhances a mud and should not be discounted when you are seeking a mud to play. While many very exciting and well administered muds that are completely free exist. In the 10 years I have programmed, administered, and played numerous games, the above proverb has always ringed true - You get what you pay for.

Let me finish by saying that New Worlds Mud is completely free, but I vehemently defend and support those games that do have registration, donations, and credits for play.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote