View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Thagrahn

Name: William
Thagrahn is on a distinguished road
Re: Wanting to start with the basics

Actually, I have a list of things I want to include, but I need some information on some other before I event know what I'm looking for in a codebase.

Starting with the order in which the players will see things, and since any builder or admin will start out as players, what they see there will start to form an impression on the theme of the MUD.

Also, in the early stages of developing, much of the code will have to be altered to the theme I am looking for, and PC's will have to be created and deleted for testing.

It sound like by going with the Main account path, I could have the Player database control who has what rights, and thus the rights the PC has while operating in the MUD.

If you look at it from the basic list, altering or creating a custom database for handling the Player accounts will need to be the first thing on the list to reduce the amount of time it saves in the long run of not having to stop and promote a new PC to admin or builder, or builders and Admin having to remember what rights they have been given under a any given PC.

Since I want to have the Character creation process in MUD so that related help topics are pointed to at each step, giving future Players quick access to the relevant information so they can make choices without hunting through Pages of information in Forums just to decide on what to make.

Next on the list would probable be Dealing with some things about the Rooms, Mobiles, and Objects to make them easier to manage for builders, but that part is already pretty well listed out for me.

After the Modifications to the basic parts, will come the work on the tutorial. part of the tutorial will be included in the Creation process, but the combat, crafting, emoting, spells, interactions, and extras will need a dedicated area of the MUD that the PC's can access for in depth information and help.

I've seen a lot of people comment on the different things they want in a tutorial, but very little about HOW to set up a tutorial that could do those things. The one thing that is clear is that the tutorial area needs very streamlined coding to access all the relevant data. This is a part of the coding I don't know a lot about, but will need to as soon as possible to make the tutorial feel usable, useful, and part of the actual MUD world.

Would it be quicker to set up a single dedicated help database that only contains all the help files, or should I attack each help file to the database where the information is being used (such as placing the weapon-smith help file within the database accessed by the code for crafting weapons.) ?
Thagrahn is offline   Reply With Quote