View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Turn based combat ideas?

Actively monitoring the players and punishing those who seem to be taking advantage of what basically amounts to a design flaw? That sounds like a big can of worms to me...not a place I'd care to tread.

There's no longer any incentive to drop link, because the fight will carry on with or without you.

But it removes the incentive to drop link, and it gives the player a chance to reconnect before they die (particularly in a turn-based game, where they're likely to have missed less than they would in a real-time combat). And as I mentioned, you could also allow players to select an escape option if you wish (in fact some muds already do this sort of thing, with link-dead characters automatically attempting to flee).

I would favour allowing the link-dead player to escape and/or fight back. Logging the player off, even after three turns, could still give them an incentive to drop link.

The turn-based combat would already allow you to choose different options - this would just let you choose default options that would kick in while you were link dead. You'd no longer be able to react to your opponent by adjusting your tactics though.

Well it negates the main problem - there's no longer an incentive to drop link, because it'll put you at a disadvantage. It's just not quite as severe as instant death.

For the record, I don't allow link-dead people to hit back at all, only defend themselves - and it works out okay. Players who are used to automated combat may find it difficult to adapt, but then they're probably not going to be happy playing turn-based combat anyway.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote