View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #20
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road
Re: The Key Element - RPI MUD's

realmsofvalor you posted:

"I also appreciate Staff that are willing to question or suggest ideas for PC roleplay without demanding or criticizing; likewise a Staff member who is willing to give a player a gentle, yet firm 'No' when circumstances dictate."

This again touches on the question of how to encourage players to roleplay in a manner that helps the game. All manner of support can be put in place, but unless players are encouraged to better their writing and roleplay in a manner not just beneficial to their themselves but to other players, I don't think it will end up being much fun. And by this I don't mean just characters being nice to another character and showing them around the game world. Your character can be an evil bastard to a newbie and still give them an entertaining time of it, if it's done with the other person's enjoyment in mind as well. Besides, it's not realistic for an evil character to be helpful to newbie characters. Leave that to the good guys.

I think that rather than the staff criticising (unless rules are broken), the staff should just reward good roleplay and state why they felt that it was good roleplay. It doesn't have to be just the staff either, players could be encouraged to state on a forums which player's roleplay they particularly enjoyed in a given month, with nominations for 'roleplayer of the month.' There would be runners up as well, with prizes of 'roleplay points' which they can spend in game.

While you might say favouritism might occur, reasons would have to be given for your nomination(s) and the staff could either allow or not allow the nomination depending on whether the reason seems valid. I find that people who go on about favouritism are often just the jealous type that would rather not try to improve their roleplay and are just concerned about the extra points some players are getting. Either the staff can reward points, or everyone, including the staff can be involved in judging the quality of roleplay. Which seems fairer? To not reward anyone based on the quality of roleplay results in a lack of enthusiasm in their roleplay. They can just bang out any old 4 line emote and it makes no difference with regards to how many points they get.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote