Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: PC physical descriptions

Actually in most DikuMUDs there are three descriptions, as follows:

* "short_desc": Used instead of a name, mostly just for mobs, but also used for players in certain muds (notably RPIs, and muds that use character recognition/introduction systems to conceal names until you know the person).

* "long_descr": A single sentence that is displayed when you type "look" within the same room as the character. Mostly used for mobs, and usually generated for players automatically based on their current position (standing, resting, sitting on a couch, etc), although I believe a few muds allow players to customise them.

* "description": Usually a paragraph, this is what you see when you actively look at someone, often followed by a list of what they're wearing. Players are usually allowed to customise these, sometimes with guidelines.

I generate all character descriptions too, except I don't give players the option of customising them. I don't run an RP mud and I don't have rules, so automating the process ensures that the descriptions are at least thematic (instead of rude ASCII pictures). It also means the descriptions are accurate (particularly as they ), which gives them a purpose beyond simple cosmetics.

As my mud makes extensive use of shapechanging, it means I can also carry over attributes from one form to another, providing a degree of consistency between the forms. For example a werewolf with blond hair in human form would have white fur in wolf form, while a dragon with dark green scales would also be dark-skinned in human form.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote