View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Avoiding mistakes in char gen/early game

It depends on the kind of mud you're designing, and on your target audience. Some players lack the skill, patience and/or desire to fully customise a character. But on the other hand, some players love tweaking and adjusting their characters, and will quickly become bored with cookie-cutter builds.

It's not an "either or" scenario though. There's no reason why you can't provide off-the-shelf starting packages as well as the option for fully customised ones. I even provide an entire class for newbies and players who don't like tweaking and optimising - but in my experience, most competitive players enjoy the opportunity to customise, and it gives the game considerably more replay value.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of permanent penalties. I've tried some games where you really do have to search through their forums before you play, pick one of the recommended builds, and start working on it right from the start - otherwise you end up with a sub-par character. That might be okay for a roleplaying game, but I find it unacceptable for competitive PvP.

Last edited by KaVir : 05-18-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added a second reply
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote