View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #16
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for builders, or building tips

Ah, sorry, I missed the comment about it being web-based. That would certainly stop people using existing clients with automappers.

Another controversial subject Some people argue that support for older clients should be dropped, but I'm not one of them. If your target audience includes established mudders, then I think there are significant benefits in supporting existing mud clients.

Newbies probably won't care, although those used to playing browser games may expect more graphical elements (such as maps). You might want to check out some of the other muds with browser-based clients, if you haven't already.

Depends how far you want to take it, but support for hand-written dynamic descriptions is relatively easy to implement. It's the computer-generated descriptions that get tricky (related discussion ).

If you're using HTML styling already then I'd suggesting sticking with it, and just have a conversion function for older clients (I have one that works the other way for generating web content from mud data). That'll also make it easier to use MXP, should you later wish to support it.

But if your mud is already played through a browser, why separate them?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote