View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #51
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

>>Once you reach your limit for that period of time, you won't gain anything at all until the timer resets.

DR used to have mindstates and throttling mechanisms for preventing long term experience gain from scripting. We started getting enormous backlash from it, however, and eventually adjusted it.

The skill system still has blocks. Your mind state fills up and won't let any additional experience into the pool, and then you need to go do other things until it drains. But it isn't as oppressive as it once was. The goal is to get players to a position of power quickly where they can enjoy themselves, then slow things down and the grind flows into the HLC.

I suppose these games may lack some of the mechanics that would give griefers an open. Popping an explosive box trap in a room of people, for example. Chaining monsters into an adjacent hunting area and then dying, causing them to engage the person there.

Still, as a professional coder and someone who has played many of these other MUDs, I've never seen a critter AI system that couldn't be scripted with 100% accuracy if your frontend supports complex scripting. Player combat would be too difficult.

Permadeath is hardcore - and that is fine. In general I think DR tries to appeal to a less niche market in the MUD community. I personally liked permadeath being something that was possible if you didn't prepare, had a real bad run of bad luck and had nobody to help you. But investing 15 years in a character just to lose them because of LAG, a bluescreen or a game bug - yeah I wouldn't be able to stomach that!

Last edited by Juason : 06-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote