View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 05:58 AM   #30
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Delayed response as I was away over Easter.

The two most well-known RPIs are probably Armageddon and Harshlands.  Harshlands is 2 years older than Threshold, while Armageddon is 5 years older, so I don't think it can be simply dismissed as "the latest trendy phrase".

So does "Mud Object-Oriented", yet I don't see people complaining about MOOs.  Not even "MUD" (Multi-User Dungeon) fulfills its prima facie meaning.  Nor, in fact, does RP (Role-Playing) - a term which I've seen you defend on more than one occasion when HnS muds have claimed to be RP muds.  So if you're arguing against people using the term "RPI" for a specific type of mud, does that mean you believe that every mud should be classified as an RP mud?  After all, every mud consists of a player playing the role of a character, which is the very definition of "role-playing".  And if every mud is an RP mud, and the "Intensive" part is agreed to be subjective, does that mean you believe that every mud should be classified as an RPI mud?

So does RPG, the term you use to describe your mud.  RPG is the cross-cultural abbreviation for "Rocket Propelled Grenade" and "Raketniy Protivotankoviy Granatomet".  It also has an official dictionary entry (in Merriam-Webster) as "report program generator".  Finally, it's also a registered trademark of RPG Diffusor Systems Inc.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote