View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #206
Justin534

Justin534 is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I've seen a lot of posts where people tend to say that MUSHes have very little in the way of code. I found this interesting as my experience with MUSHes is that they have very deeply coded systems. Especially, when looking at something like

Very well said. For me it seems that some MUDs use code to completely replace the GM rather then supplement the GM. The game ends up looking and feeling like a game and less like an experience. Everything you do feels like you the player did it, but your character didn't have much to do with it. I think often times code is used to the detriment of creating a rich immersive RP atmosphere, and creates an environment that, even though OOC forms of communication have been eliminated, the experience feels very OOCy in itself.

Agreed, I've yet to understand why RPI's completely eliminate global OOC channels with allowing the option for them to be toggled on/off. In my experience OOC forms of communication haven't done anything to hinder RP, as long as it is established that OOC communication is strictly OOC. Global OOC channels have, in my opinion, also helped a great deal to create and foster an overall MUD-wide sense of community among players and staff. I think it also helps with lowering any degree of resentment that might arise between players as it helps to draw a clearer line between the players and their characters. With OOC communication its possible for a two player's characters to be mortal enemies, but allow the players to be buddies on OOC terms. If you get rid of OOC communication any resentment that arises encompasses both player-player resentment and character-character resentment.

edit: yikes these forums confuse me half the time...this post was in response to a post near the beginning of this thread, which before logging in looked like it was more recent.

Last edited by Justin534 : 11-23-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Justin534 is offline   Reply With Quote