View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
cherubpath

cherubpath is on a distinguished road
Re: Achieving a balance?

You and me both! I'm having the exact some problem you are..I feel like the only options are patched together chaotic hack-and-slash madness or RPI that seems bent on making new players feel intimidated. I enjoy RP and embracing the likeness of my character but I definitely want the option to chat OOC in a tell or a specified channel without someone freaking out and pretending it ruined their day. I remember older MUDS having better balance with this but unfortunately the playerbases aren't there anymore and I too am spoiled by new mapping features as well as color customization options.

I really like the design approach of IRE muds and I'm willing to pay for what I play but from the research I've done it seems that they are really only about PK in the end and most of that appears to be done by a 'system script.' I like PK as an option but it's never my main focus or goal in a MUD. I'd love an IRE mud that still allowed for an intricate PK system but also focused more on exploration, denizen/monster group combat, quests, item collection etc. The engine they use has such great capability but it seems from what I've read that each game is the same format just in a slightly different world. The only one I've played for more than a spell is Achaea, can anyone confirm if Lusternia, Imperian or Midkemia offer more on the adventuring side?

Any MUDS out there with modern features, a decent playerbase and a balance somewhere between Aardwolf and RPI? Thanks!
cherubpath is offline   Reply With Quote