View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
Maelgrim

Maelgrim is on a distinguished road
Re: Orson Scott Card obliterates J.K. Rowling

Ad Hominem aside, I agree with Card in his analysis of Rowling's work. From a literary standpoint, it's a crazy fluke that Harry Potter is/was that successful. I've read the books, and whilst they may be GOOD children's books, they're still children's books. Rowling seems to have been blessed with a brilliant marketer and fantastic timing.

As for her 'seventeen years of work' claim, I too, have to laugh. There is not one SINGLE original element, theme, or concept present within that entire septology that has not been borrowed from a number of different sources.

I can hear the cynical old adage "There are no original ideas in fantasy" crawling up from the basement as we speak. This is true, and frankly, if there were any basis for criticism/legal action on the grounds of similar mythos principles within genres, a good 90% of the readers of this board would be on the receiving end of a good stiff buggering from Tolkien's estate, or the Wizards of the Coast.

Yes, Rowling wrote some successful books. But she should have the good grace to take her money and privately admit to herself that her entire portfolio is a mish-mash of fantasy and literary cliches wrapped in a deus ex machina. Again, this is just fine for children's literature, but again, in this aspect Rowling is guilty of taking herself and her work far too seriously.

As for the Dumbledore=Gay thing, I, again have to agree with Card (his personal opinions aside). It was a marketing ploy. Dumbledore is the stereotypical kindly grandfather cliche. Issues of sexuality rarely, if ever, in my experience, have anything to do with the development or establishment of this character archetype.

If there was a plot development around a past homosexual relationship with Dumbledore, then Rowling would have a basis for her silly "I iz PC! I can haz gay main character lol" argument.

tl;dr - Rowling needs to stop footbulleting herself by trying to squeeze the last tepid drops out of her cash cow.
Maelgrim is offline   Reply With Quote