Thread: Character Ages?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #12
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Many MUDs track players ages based on the time of character creation. I was checking out one MUD the other day and found that "You are 49 minutes old." Sheesh! Then I had an image of a newborn babe crawling around dirty streets stuck in my head. In other MUDs, you start out at age 18 and age from there, which sort of deflates someone who wants to RP someone older or younger (especially if other players can find out what age you are). Meanwhile, the older players who are 125 year old humans are RPing being sexy young things.

Anyway, don't know what relevance this has, but I'm thinking starting everyone out as a young teen (say, 13 years old), and as the character ages adjust the stats at landmark ages (+1 strength, +1 intelligence upon reaching age 18, etc.). I'm thinking the old D&D system of aging where older folks have high intelligence/wisdom but low dexterity/constitution. You could also implement potions of youth/aging (or something) to help players maintain the age they enjoy to RP (though, admittedly, some will maintain the age where the stats best suit their class). Something like:

Young Adult: +1 str, +1 dex
Mature: +1 str, +1 int, +1 con
Middle Age: +1 str, +1 con, -1 dex
Old: -1 str, -1 con, +1 int
Venerable: -1 str, -1 dex, +1 int
Ancient: -1 con, +1 int

I would envision that most fighters would be no older than middle age, while most magic users would be old to ancient. Not many thieves would survive past mature. Exceptions being those hardcore RPers who want to RP against the norms (the ancient fighter, youthful wizard, etc.) .

Just some random thoughts.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote