View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: New player success and combat systems

Seriously, I would tend to suspect that the number of people **not** using scripts to play affliction based games is damn close to zero, just to get that of my chest. lol

Otherwise, at least where I play, its sort of both. You can stand there and just let the automatic system do it, but unless your like level 50 and killing a level 1 mouse, you **need** to use somewhat less automatic commands. This is fundamentally the same as on something like EQ2 (or WoW I imagine), where you have a whole set of attacks/defenses and even affliction counters, which you can use, and more to the point *need to*, if you want to do serious damage to anything. The only real problem with such a system is that it works well when you are clicking buttons, but it gets more complicated in text, and even simple systems end up requiring triggers, at minimum, to warn of critical situations. And, its almost inevitable that someone will script it instead, then get caught doing so (which usually happens when someone suggests they might be, the admin pops in to ask them a question, and they fail to answer, even after the combat ends It might take a while, but if scripts are illegal, you **will** get caught at them, eventually, and the longer you where doing so, the more likely you will get nuked and banned, at least where I play.)
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote