View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
Quicksilver

Quicksilver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver
Unhappy

This might not help your question, as I don't code, but imho having a room check isn't bad. For instance have the code check the room itself and the surrounding rooms for the base population and use that as a basis for a percentage check on whether the person is seen.  You can even tie your weather code and daylight code into this by making them influence the percentage one way or the other.  (A bright, sunny day would increase any percentage of being caught. Dark, moonless night during a blizzard would certainly decrease the chances.) The simple approach is usually the best. (On an unrelated note, I've never seen the term Vnpc, so I'm very curious what the V stands for.)

Your post did give me an idea, though. Dark alleys also tend to have their share of the criminal element. You might want to have a seperate mob flag which can influence your population count in those rooms. Have one which has a 50% chance of affecting the player getting caught, and a flag which keeps the mob out of the equation entirely.
Some people would turn you in if they thought they could get something out of it, but they might have other reasons for not turning you in as well. But, there are always going to be people who won't turn you in, no matter what, because they wish to avoid the law entirely.  (An assassin stalking a victim near where you did your muder would be loathe to advertise his killing ground.  A sneak thief, otoh, might turn you in, hoping his crimes my get pinned on you.)

--QS
(Whose coder HATES when she, or someone around her, gets and idea, because she starts free-associating.)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote